Sunday, January 24, 2010

my plan, His plan

Mark Driscoll's sermon rocked my heart tonight...

He shared about his recent trip to Haiti and stories of people experiencing the devastation. One story in particular that shook me and my perspective on life was of a local seminary professor. He was on the second story teaching when he felt the ground shake, he went outside to see what was going on...as he got outside the building collapsed and he began to weep knowing his wife was inside and now dead. He fought the grief thinking about his four children who were at home and immediately ran to them. Once he got home, he saw his house in rubble and had to pull his children out. Driscoll asked the professor what is plan is now that his wife, home, and job are are all gone...the man replied saying, "I have no plan, it is all His plan."

His faith in the Lord overwhelms me...he is able to say with joy - "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot" (Psalm 16:5). God challenged my perspective today causing me to realize He is in control. It is His plan not mine. A life by faith requires total surrender.

"Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make profit - yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that" (James 4:13). It is all about Him and His will...and our surrendered hearts to it.

If the Lord shook your life, taking away everything you held as worth...would you be able to say, "I have no plan, it is all His plan"?

No comments: