Saturday, November 6, 2010

daily


i have been reading through Luke...slow and methodically.
(i like really chewing on words and tend to take my time when processing through ideas)

the verse that i read was one that i've heard many times, but it is always amazing to me to see how the Lord sheds new light on verses...i love that about His word.

the verse is Luke 9:23

"And he said to all, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.'"

in N.T. Wright's commentary the verse is read this way:

"He then spoke to them all. 'If any of you want to come after me,' he said, 'you must say NO to yourselves, and pick up your cross every day and follow me.'"

There are several things that have stood out in in this section the following are words that were significant:

come after me: means to become a disciple. i have a huge heart for discipleship because i believe that this is where transformation and a true growth in one's spiritual life is cultivated.

deny himself: indicates not only an idea of giving up certain earthly desires, but ultimately personal control of one's life into the hands of Jesus (a concept i am constantly wrestling with).

take up his cross: a commitment despite all costs (humiliation, rejection, even the loss of life) to follow Jesus.

daily: to me this is the one that really hit home for me. i need to do the former (come after, deny myself, and take up my cross) no not just one time...not just when it's convenient and i have time, not just when people are watching, but DAILY...

2 comments:

scarruth said...

So precious.
I love hearing how our Father is speaking to other in our Family. What a gift it is to hear.
Thank you for sharing.
Shanna

Em said...

Call me or send me a message Elise, we've gotta chat asap! Love you and love your blog and yesterday's message. You struck a chord with me. =) Em