Friday, July 1, 2011

in reading: tim keller

I've recently been reading a book by Tim Keller called Kings Cross.

Today was amazing...not only did I get off work a little early, but I also have a balcony that I can read, see the Puget sound, and drink a cold beer.  I read a few things that were well said and wanted to share them.

These quotes are Tim Keller's paraphrases:

Jesus- "I want you to follow me so fully, so intensely, so enduringly that all other attachments in you life look like hate by comparison..." If you say, 'i'll obey you Jesus if my career thrives, if my health is good, if my family is together,' then the thing that's on the other side of that if is your real master, your real goal. But Jesus will not the a means to an end; he will not be used.  If he calls you to follow him, he must be the goal" (19).

This made me stop and question...Jesus are you truly my goal...are you the thing that I am pursing so fully, intensely, and enduringly in my life...

Additionally...

Jesus-  "Follow me.  I'm going to take you on a journey, and I don't want you to turn to the left or to the right.  I want you to put me first; I want you to keep trusting me; to stick with me, not turn back, not give up, turn to me in all the disappointments  and injustices that will happen to you" (24). 

Life is a journey as cliche as that sounds but he wants us to turn to him in the disappointments of the journey and put him first...that has been a key theme in my life recently.


No comments: